HOW TO MATURE AS A CHRISTIAN
15 ways for spiritual growth and living to the glory of God
- Repent of your sins. Joshua 7:19, Luke 13:5, Acts 17:30. You cannot mature unless you confront sin and are dealing with sin to eliminate it from your life. Develop a hatred for sin. Psalm 139: 23-24. Thanks to Jesus, you are clean before God 1 John 1:9.
- Make Jesus Lord of your life. Romans 10:9, Philippians 2:11, Get rid of any idols: people or things more important than God.
- Commit to glorifying God. Make that your goal in ALL you do, 1 Corinthians 10:31. Abide in Him, John 15:1-11. This takes self discipline, which takes effort, so make the effort.
- Trust Him. Rom 4:20, Psalm 37:3-11. A confident faith that believes and trusts God completely will mature us and give God glory. Hebrews 11:6 reminds us it is impossible to please God without faith.
- Bearing much fruit. John 15:8. When there is a PRODUCT to our lives, when there is visual evidence of what God is doing in us, we mature and glorify God. How are you doing with the list in Galatians 5:22-23?
- Being thankful for everything. 2 Corinthians 4:15, Col 2:7 keeps our proper perspective.Praising Him for everything. Psalm 50:23, Exodus 15:2, Psalm 28:7, James 1:2-4 Rejoice always, and in everything Phil 4:4-13. Maintain joy, it’s a fruit of the Spirit Gal 5:22.
- Keep proper focus and hope. Romans 5:1-5 Heavenly focus/assurance. Imitate Jesus 1 John 2:6, Romans 8:28-29.
- Being obedient out of love for Him. John 14:15, John 21:15-19, 1 John 5:3 Obey His commandments, serve Him with what He has given you, even unto death. You should be more mature spiritually than a year ago.
- Prayer, and praying continually. John 14:13:14, 1 Thessalonians 5:17 Develop a prayer life. Relate daily things with Him, as if He were right next to you.
- Studying His Word. 2 Thess 3:1 it is how He communicates with us best. The Holy Spirit will illuminate God’s word to mature us, and glorify God. Psalm 119:105
- Proclaiming His word, and bring others to salvation. 2 Thess 3:1 Teaching God’s word is a great way to learn and grow. 2 Cor 4:15 Evangelizing/bringing others to Christ adds more voices that glorify God.
- Being disciplined and discerning. Proverbs 2:2-6, 3:5-6 This is a continual process & takes an attitude of commitment. Set a daily time to study God’s word, and to pray. Use discernment in life’s decisions and what you let in. Rom 10:17 Pass everything through the filter of God’s word.
- Moral purity. 1 Cor 6:19-20, Proverbs. 4:23 You cannot grow spiritually nor glorify God with an impure lifestyle, internally and externally.
- Unity with others. Heb 10:24 We grow faster, more completely, and are held accountable when we are not alone. Spiritual gifts are to help each other to mature and glorify God. Rom 12:4-5,Rom 15:5-7 The closer you are to the circle of believers around you, the better you mature spiritually. Do and receive. Use your spiritual gifts, receive them from others.
- Love others. Above all, have fervent love for one another, and demonstrate it 1 Peter 4:8-9.
Also review 1 Thessalonians 5:16-22 This is Paul’s list given to the folks in Thessalonica.
I would suggest using this for your daily devotions by studying one each day. Print it, and keep it in or close to your Bible for reference.
Copyright 2014 Kevin Brownlee www.kevinbrownlee.com